Archdiocese of Kingston is the
ecclesiastical territory in Jamaica, covering 3,267 Square Kilometers
(1,261 Square Miles). Erected as an Apostolic Vicariate (Vicariate Apostolic Giamaica o Jamaica) on 10 January 1837, it was
elevated as Diocese of Kingston on 29 February 1956 and as Archdiocese of Kingston on 14 September 1967.
Beginning with Bishop
Benito Fernández, who was
the first Bishop of the newly created Apostolic Vicariate of Jamaica in
1837, the Archdiocese has seen a
succession of fifteen Bishops and Archbishops.
The present Archbishop is Most Rev. Charles H. Dufour.
For the benefit of effective
administration, the Archdiocese of Kingston is divided into
Six deaneries. There are
30 Parishes, and 30 Missions. There are
Priests of the Archdiocese, 4 Diocesan priests
serving as Missionaries in the Archdiocese, Religious Priests, 27 active
Permanent Deacons, Religious Sisters and Religious Brothers ministering to the people of God.
Currently we have Pre-Seminarians in training, and several in the aspirancy programme, discerning their vocation to the Priesthood.